September 1, 2014: The merger of AS EMT, Elion Ettevõtted AS, and AS Eesti Telekom has been completed, EMT and Elion were merged with Eesti Telekom. The name of the joint company is Eesti Telekom, but EMT and Elion brand names will continue to be used.

On May 30, 2014, EMT, Elion, and AS Eesti Telekom signed a merger. EMT and Elion will be merged with Eesti Telekom. The business name of the company after the merger shall be AS Eesti Telekom, but EMT and Elion brand names will remain unchanged.


As of January, shares of Eesti Telekom are no longer traded on the Tallinn and London Stock Exchange.


In August MicroLink aqcuired 82,9% of IT Koolituskeskus (IT Training Centre) shares, that is the largest training company in the Baltics.


As of July 1, AS MicroLink Eesti, which had been owned by Elion Ettevõtted AS, became a 100% subsidiary of AS Eesti Telekom.

In May, EMT launched the Mobile ID service enabling personal identification and digital signing by mobile phone.


On April 5, EMT acquired 51% of Serende Invest OÜ, which owns the "Rate" trademark and administers Rate.ee, the Internet communications network intended primarily for young people.

In April, Elion introduced DigiTV to the market, which is provided to customers as part of the Kodulahendus triple-package.


On October 28, EMT was the first in Estonia to launch a commercial 3G mobile communications network together with mobile TV, video calls, faster mobile Internet, and other new generation mobile services.

Elion acquired the Estonian operations of MicroLink, the leading IT company in the Baltic states. MicroLink Eesti AS continues independent operations as part of the Elion Group. The acquisition of MicroLink allows for offering customers even greater choice of IT and telecommunications services and integrated solutions.

Elion launched the offering of digital television. Elion sales outlets started the sale of television sets, in order to offer the equipment necessary for viewing DigiTV along with qualituy digital reception.


AS Eesti Telefon changed its business name to Elion Enterprises AS. Its subsidiary company, AS Telefonipood changed its name to AS Elon Esindus. A reason for the adoption of the new names was the increasing ratio of new business areas, Internet, data communications and IT, compared to the traditional fixed line services.


As a result of the initial public offering of shares (IPO*) in early 1999, institutional and private investors purchased 49% of the shares that had previously belonged to the Estonian state. Eesti Telekom became a public company with shares listed on the Tallinn and London stock exchanges.

After the IPO*, Eesti Telekom went through a period of restructuring, in the course of which Sonera Oyj (formerly Telecom Finland), Telia AB and Baltic Tele, the shareholders of the subsidiaries to date, exchanged their holding in Eesti Telefon and EMT for shareholding in Eesti Telekom. Today, 27.3% of Eesti Telekom shares is owned by the Estonian state, with the remaining 72.7% in the hands of other investors.


As foreseen in the Eesti Telekom, the company sold its shares in: EsData, TeleMedia (a publisher of phone directories) and Eesti Kaugotsing.

In the year 1998, the plan for the sale of shares became more concrete, with a consortium, consisting of the financial institutions ABN AMRO Rothschild, Nomura International plc and AS Eesti Ühispank, selected to act as a consultant in the IPO.


The state enterprise was restructured as into the joint venture Eesti Telekom in 1997. In the same year, the Estonian state decided to sell up to 49% of the telecommunications company through public offering.


Eesti Telekom entered the world of Internet business by acquiring 15% of the shares of EsData, an Internet service provider.


Teaming with Telecom Finland in 1993 to establish the joint venture Eesti Kaugotsing, Eesti Telekom launched into a new field of activity.


In 1991-1993, Eesti Telekom became a holding company and two joint ventures --- Eesti Telefon and EMT -- were established for fixed line and mobile communication. The minority stakes in both operator companies were sold to Telecom Finland (now Sonera) and Telia of Sweden.


Changes on the Estonian communications market began in 1991, when Estonia re-established national independence and the state¢ s telecommunications sector was restructured. The Ministry of Communications was closed down, with the regulative functions of the ministry being assigned to the Ministry of Transport and Communications. The state- owned enterprise Eesti Telekom became the operator of the Estonian communications system.